Friday, March 4, 2016

Video games have saved me?



Yes, you read that title right.  Video games have saved me!  And not just the games, but the larger gaming community.  What exactly have I been saved from?


 Yep, video games have saved me from depression, something that no one seems to want to talk about, but everyone experiences at some point in their lives.  Unfortunately for a few of us, we experience this over and over for no explainable reason.  Like me.  If you saw me from day to day, you would have a hard time believing I struggle with depression, you might even ask yourself, "What does she have to be depressed about?  She has a good job, a loving husband, kids, grandkids, good friends- what's depressing about that?"  And the answer is....Nothing.  Nothing is depressing about any of that!

But you see, that is the problem.  Nothing bad is happening, and yet my brain is unhappy, unsatisfied, lacking.





And this, this is where video games come in.

Video games are my one outlet that makes me feel like I can solve the worlds problems, beat up bad guys, explore new worlds, and be who I want to be.  I can't do that in real life.  I can try, I can beat my head against a wall and rail against injustice over and over, but in the end, very little in real life changes.  And it makes my brain sad.  So I need a place to go to be amazing.  To feel like I've accomplished something, anything.

And that brings me to the gaming community.  Yes I know there's trolls out there, but in general I have met some of the most fantastic, supportive people in the gaming community, and I need that support.  I began my Twitter account because Oldest told me I should, and at first I didn't get it.  I mean, who are these people who are just randomly saying things about their lives all day?  What's the purpose?!  I didn't know....until I started my YouTube channel.

Twitter I found out, is just groups of people with interests in common.  And one of the biggest groups is the Twitter gaming community.  These are gamers from young and old who support each other in the greater gaming community.  They cheer each others wins and achievements, and laugh with each other over gaming snafus.  And that is exactly what I need, people to share my obsession with!  I mean, if you really want people to support your YouTube channel, look no further than Twitter!

And this people, this, is what has helped me with my depression.  The support you sometimes don't get from people who are your friend, but shy away from any mention of things that aren't rosy and happy.  The acceptance from others who share your obession when everyone else is saying, "Aren't you too old to be playing video games?  Don't you have a life?"  Yes, yes I do!

I have many lives.


Remember, it's just a ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment