Saturday, August 13, 2011

This is how we roll in small towns!







It's fair time!

Yes, the Delta County Fair has been going on all week, and today is the last day.  I've been out to it 4 times already and I never get tired of it!

For y'all who live in big cities, or have never been to a fair, it's the summer's happeningest thing...around here at least.  There's exhibits from 4-H, sewing, fruits and veggies, flowers, art, woodworking, all sorts of things.

And I haven't done it in 2 years, but this year I actually had 2 cross stitch pictures I entered:

Is that a blue ribbon I spy?

And I do believe this one had a red ribbon.
Yep, I got a first and second place on my sewings!

Then there is the rodeo:

Ranch rodeo


Barrel racing
The ranch rodeo is fun, watching teams of cowboys roping cattle and trying to shove them into a trailer and get into their truck in under 10 minutes.  I know that seems like a long time, but when cows start scattering and no one can seem to rope a calf, 10 minutes goes by fast!

And then there is the funnest part to watch; MUTTON BUSTING!

The purpose?  You get your 3-6 year old to get on a sheep and hang on for dear life for as long as they can.  These kids have balls!  (and btw, so do the sheep...huge dangly ones....)


And for the 6-9 year olds, there's CALF BUSTING!

This kid was awesome, he actually raised 1 hand in the air and rode half way across the pen!

Now, I know some people would whine and moan about putting your kid on a dangerous animal and all, but in 7 years of going I've never seen a child get hurt, or even cry when they fell off, and I know some people would say cruelty to animals, but they aren't hurt, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

And speaking of animal things, there are cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, and llamas all for show:

Cows up for auction

Check out these chicks!  Hubba hubba!

And tonight is the grand finale, bronco busting and bull riding!  Oh, and a little more mutton busting...


Life is good in the country, folks.





Remember, it's just a ride.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting.

    I wish I lived in the country. I would ride a pony all day long.

    ReplyDelete